Zoodles (or zucchini cut into the shape of noodles) may be my favorite recipe to play with. You can do so much with the noodles just by changing the sauce. This recipe was inspired by my husbands love for Chinese noodles. It came to life by literally putting a bunch of ingredients I had together, and boom – a winning dish!
One thing to always keep in mind when making any zoodle dish is that the zucchini releases a lot of water as it cooks, so go for sauces that are thick (pestos). If the sauce is not thick, you can always add a thickening agent like flour (quinoa flour is a staple in my pantry). Once the noodles cook and release their liquid, the liquid from the zucchini thins the sauce and it comes out perfect.
- For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp flour (quinoa flour is my go to, but you can use any thickening agent)
- For the zoodles:
- 2 medium zucchini, ends trimmed, spiralized
- 6 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into thin short strips
- sea salt, to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4-6 pieces of bok choy
- 1/2 cup sliced shiitake
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- For the sauce – in a medium bowl, combine the chicken broth, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine and 2 tablespoons of water. Whisk in the cornstarch until smooth.
- Season chicken with salt (or other desired seasoning). Heat a large nonstick wok over high heat. When very hot, add 1 tsp of the oil and the chicken. Cook until browned on both sides and opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil, bok choy, mushroom, carrots, scallions, ginger and garlic. Cook until crisp tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside with the chicken.
- Pour the sauce mixture into the wok and cook, stirring, until thickened and bubbling, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes. Add the zucchini noodles to the sauce, mixing so the zucchini is covered in sauce, and cook until the zucchini is tender, 2 minutes. Try not to leave zucchini cooking long since it releases a lot of water.
- Add the chicken and vegetables. Toss everything together and enjoy!